Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Mushrooms
Flavorful and healthy wraps made with ground chicken, water chestnuts, and veggies, wrapped in lettuce leaves and served with a delicious soy and ginger sauce. A light and refreshing meal option.
for 4 servings
- 14 oz tofu (395 g)
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- ½ cup soy sauce (120 mL)
- ¼ cup sesame oil (60 mL)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar (55 g)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar (60 mL)
- ⅓ cup sliced scallions (35 g)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 ½ cups chopped mushrooms (185 g), such as shiitake
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts (225 g), drained and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced scallions (50 g)
- ½ cup canola oil (120 mL)
- 7 oz rice noodle (200 g)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Calories 768
- Fat 49g
- Carbs 70g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 22g
- Protein 17g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Remove the tofu from its packaging and drain. Wrap the tofu in a kitchen towel, then place a heavy object on top of the tofu and press for 10–20 minutes, until the tofu feels more tender.
- Make the sauce: In a medium bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sriracha, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, and scallions and stir to dissolve the sugar. Set ½ cup (120 mL) of the sauce aside.
- Crumble the pressed tofu into the remaining marinade, then cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the sesame oil in a medium skillet or work over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender, then stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tofu and its marinade to the pan and cook until the majority of the liquid cooks off. Add the water chestnuts and scallions. Pour in three-quarters of the reserved sauce. Toss to coat the tofu and cook until just heated through. Transfer the tofu mixture to a medium bowl.
- Heat the canola oil in the same pan over high heat until a drop of water sizzles when flicked onto the oil. Add the rice noodles and fry for about 30 seconds, until puffed up. Transfer the fried noodles to paper towels to drain.
- Remove the core from the head of lettuce, then separate into individual leaves.
- Serve the tofu in the lettuce cups and top with the crispy rice noodles and a drizzle of the remaining sauce.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.