Mac And Cheese Garlic Bread Bowl
Creamy, ooey-gooey pasta meets toasty garlic bread in this comfort food mashup. Plus, you’ll have one less dish to wash because the bread is the serving bowl. We recommend using Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, but feel free to fold in your favorites.
for 2 servings
- 1 italian bread, or white bread
- ¾ stick unsalted butter, softened, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced, divided
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g), divided, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (360 g)
- ¾ cup shredded low-moisture mozzarella (75 g)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups elbow macaroni (500 g)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut off the top of the boule and reserve. Using a small, sharp knife, cut around the inside of the bread (being careful not to cut through the sides) and scoop out the center. Tear 1 loosely packed cup of the bread’s innards into 1-inch pieces, then discard or set aside the rest for another use.
- In a small bowl, mix together 6 tablespoons softened butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon parsley, the red pepper flakes, if using, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Arrange the bread bowl, top of the boule, and the torn bread on a baking sheet. Spread the compound butter over the inside of the top of the boule and all over the inside of the bread bowl.
- Bake for 12–14 minutes, until the bread bowl is golden brown around the edges and the torn bread is dry and beginning to brown.
- Transfer the torn, toasted bread to a food processor and process into coarse crumbs. You should have about ½ cup of bread crumbs.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the bread crumbs and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 3–4 minutes.
- Transfer the toasted bread crumbs to a medium bowl and add 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon parsley, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine.
- Wipe out the pot, then return to the stove over medium heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. When the butter is melted and bubbling, add the remaining 3 cloves garlic and sauté for 1–2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream and cook until simmering and reduced slightly, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, 4–5 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup Parmesan and the mozzarella cheese and stir until the cheese is fully melted and creamy and the sauce has thickened, 5–6 minutes. Season with the remaining teaspoon of salt and the pepper.
- Fold in the cooked elbow macaroni until well coated.
- Set the bread bowl on a clean baking sheet. Transfer the macaroni to the bread bowl and top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 5 minutes, until warmed through and set.
- Top with the remaining tablespoon of parsley and serve immediately with the toasted top of the boule.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.