Mac ‘N’ Cheese Waffle Burgers
Go big or go home! This burger is anything but simple–a burger patty is sandwiched between a mac ‘n’ cheese waffle bun. It gets even cheesier with a mac ‘n’ cheese sauce drizzled on top. Finished with burger sauce, bacon strips, pickle chips for a tangy crunch, and fresh iceberg lettuce, it’s a mouthful of cheesy, meaty goodness.
1 hr 50 min
1 hr 50 min
1 hr 50 min
1 hr 50 min
for 4 servings
Mac ‘n’ Cheese Waffles
- 6 cups (1.2 g), prepared
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (200 g)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (120 g)
- ¼ cup ketchup (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar, distilled
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk (300 mL)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (300 g)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ground beef patties
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices pickle
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce (200 g)
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, cooked
- Make the mac ‘n’ cheese waffles: In a large bowl, combine the mac ‘n’ cheese, flour, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cayenne, salt, black pepper, eggs, and cheddar cheese. (If you are using cold mac ‘n’ cheese, microwave briefly to loosen up for easier mixing). Mix well to combine.
- Heat the waffle iron to medium-high heat or 375°F (190°C).
- Scoop ¾ cup of the mac ‘n’ cheese mixture into each of the waffle divots. Close the waffle iron and cook for 8–10 minutes, until the waffles are golden brown and crispy all over. Remove the waffles from the iron (cutting into individual waffles with kitchen shears for easier removal) and repeat with the remaining mac ‘n’ cheese mixture. You should have 8 waffles total.
- Meanwhile, make the burger sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, onion, sweet relish, white vinegar, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the cheese sauce: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat until bubbling. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1–2 minutes, until light golden brown, whisking continuously to prevent burning. Pour in the milk, whisking continuously to prevent clumping. Cook for 2–4 minutes, whisking occasionally to prevent burning, until slightly thickened and steaming. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the cheese and salt until melted and smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a 2-cup liquid measuring cup and use an immersion blender to blend until completely smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the burgers: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Generously season the ground beef patties on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook the patties for 4–5 minutes on each side, depending on your desired doneness.
- Assemble the burgers: Spoon 1–2 tablespoons of the burger sauce onto a mac ‘n’ cheese waffle. Top with 2–4 pickle slices, ½ cup shredded lettuce, a burger patty, ¼–⅓ cup cheese sauce, 2 slices of bacon, and another mac ‘n’ cheese waffle. Repeat to make the remaining burgers.
- Serve immediately.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.