Makai Paka (East Africa)
featured in Corn on the Cob Around the World
This East African dish is a feast for the senses! With tender corn kernels swimming in fragrant coconut sauce, and a blend of spices that tickle your taste buds, every bite is like a culinary adventure.
May 05, 2023
for 3 servings
- 3 ears corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon green chile
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 27 oz coconut milk (800 mL)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Calories 688
- Fat 59g
- Carbs 41g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Blanch the corn in a large pot of boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove the corn from the pot.
- Let the corn cool slightly, then slice crosswise into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces, about 4 per cob.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the tomato and cook until softened. Add the serrano chili, ground coriander, green chile powder, and turmeric and stir well.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add the corn and lemon juice and stir well.
- Transfer the corn and sauce to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.