Mama Guilla's Sancocho
Get ready to warm your soul with Mama Guilla's Sancocho, a hearty and flavorful stew that's perfect for chilly nights. This traditional Latin American dish is loaded with tender meats, starchy vegetables, and a savory broth that'll have you coming back for seconds.
for 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (150 g), chopped
- 1 cup green pepper (100 g), diced
- 1 ½ cups fresh cilantro (60 g), chopped, plus more for serving
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup white cooking wine (120 mL)
- 14.5 oz diced tomato (410 g), 2 cans
- 15 oz tomato sauce (425 g), 1 can
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 tablespoons recaito
- 3 tablespoons spanish green olive
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lb chuck roast (455 g), or stew beef
- 2 cups chicken broth (480 mL)
- 4 cups water (960 mL)
- 1 lb chicken drumstick (455 g)
- 3 ears corn, shucked, broken into large pieces
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 yucca, peeled and cubed
- 2 plantains, sliced into 2 in (5 cm) pieces
- avocado, halved, for serving
- white rice, cooked, for serving
- lime wedge, for serving
- Calories 663
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 91g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 19g
- Protein 39g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, green pepper, cilantro, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooking wine, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sofrito, recaito, Spanish olives, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add the stew beef. Increase the heat to high and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the chicken broth and water. Stir to combine. Add the chicken, corn, potatoes, and yuca. Stir well. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the potatoes are softened.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the plantains. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the plantains are tender.
- Garnish the soup with cilantro and serve with halved avocados, rice, and lime wedges, if desired.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.