Margarita Shrimp With Coconut Greens And Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
This is a deliciously balanced summer meal with everything included! Citrusy margarita shrimp, creamy and decadent mac salad, and sweet and savory coconut-braised greens make the perfect trio on your plate.
for 4 servings
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (455 g)
- 2 cups mayonnaise (480 g)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup buttermilk (60 mL)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp (455 g), peeled and deveined, tails on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups margarita mix (360 mL)
- 4 tablespoons blanco tequila, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested
- Lime wedge, for serving
Braised Coconut Greens
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup unsweetend coconut milk (60 mL), plus 2 tablespoons for serving
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 bunches kale, stems discarded, leaves roughly chopped
- 4 oz snow peas (120 g), ends trimmed, halved crosswise
- ¼ cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes (25 g), for serving
- Make the macaroni salad: Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the macaroni. Cook al dente according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return to the Dutch oven. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon of kosher salt to the pasta fold to thoroughly combine. Set aside to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Marinate the margarita shrimp: Add the shrimp and kosher salt to a large bowl. Toss to combine. Pour the margarita mix over top. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes while you prepare the braised greens.
- Make the braised coconut greens: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the garlic and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant and just starting to soften.
- Add ¼ cup of coconut milk plus the sugar and lime juice to the saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the kale leaves and snow peas, and season again with salt and pepper. Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the leaves are wilted and soft and the snow peas are tender.
- Cook the shrimp: Pour the marinade liquid into a 10-inch skillet, leaving the shrimp in the bowl. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds to about ½ cup.
- Add the shrimp and 2 tablespoons of tequila to the skillet. Cook, tossing occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until the shrimp are bright pink and opaque.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of tequila plus the cilantro and lime zest. Simmer for about 1 minute, tossing the shrimp to thoroughly coat. Serve immediately alongside the macaroni salad and braised greens.
- Just before serving, fold in the carrots, scallions, and buttermilk into the cooled macaroni salad. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut milk to the greens and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.