82% would make again
June 10, 2019
for 24 cookies
- 1 ½ cups piloncillo (330 g), or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, divided
- Calories 90
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 15g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the piloncillo and water to a small saucepan over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved and big brown bubbles form. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mash into the flour with a fork until combined. Add the orange zest and stir to incorporate.
- Push the dry ingredients to the sides of the bowl to make a well. Add the vanilla, 1 egg, and cooled piloncillo syrup to the center. Using a fork, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the center until everything is evenly combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough to a rectangle about ¼ inch (6 ½ mm) thick. Re-roll any dough scraps and cut out more cookies.
- Using a 2½-inch (6 ½ cm) pig cookie cutter, cut out cookies and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Beat the remaining egg, then brush over the cookies.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Let the cookies cool before serving.