Masala Chole (Authentic Indian Chickpea Gravy)
This recipe was submitted by a Tasty Community Member, and hasn’t been tested by the Tasty recipe team.Submit your own recipe here!
for 6 servings
- 4 cups chickpeas (800 g)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ cup crushed tomato (100 g), (or 2 fresh Roma tomatoes, diced)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water (240 mL), (adjust as needed)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 whole dry chili peppers
- cinnamon stick piece
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- red chili powder, (optional, to add spice)
- 2 teaspoons chana masala powder, (optional, not required)
- Calories 195
- Fat 7g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 7g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat avocado oil in a pan. To this, add bay leaves, dry chili pepper, cinnamon sticks and whole cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds start to sizzle, add diced onion and cook until slightly brown and translucent.
- Lower the heat and add the crushed or fresh tomatoes, ginger and garlic and mix well.
- Add salt, turmeric, paprika, red chili powder, chana masala mix and water. Mix well.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes with lid on.
- Add cooked chickpeas, mix well and let cook for 7-10 minutes until chickpeas are softened.
- Serve alongside basmati (white) rice, naan or roti.