Mashed Potato Wontons
These crispy, golden Mashed Potato Wontons will have you clamoring for more! This creative twist on a classic comfort food is perfect for sharing with friends and family.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 6 servings
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ shallot, thinly sliced
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package wonton wrapper
- 2 cups oil (480 mL), for frying
- sour cream, to serve
- Calories 773
- Fat 76g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the potatoes, garlic cloves, and 1 teaspoon of salt to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander, and transfer to a bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes.
- Add ½ tablespoon of butter, sour cream, Parmesan, and 2 teaspoons of salt to the potatoes and stir to combine.
- In a small pan, on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the shallot, a pinch of salt, and pepper and stir.
- Once the shallots are golden brown, add the thyme and remove from the heat.
- Add the shallot mixture to the bowl of potatoes and mix to combine.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the potato mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Wet the tip of your finger and brush the edges of the wrapper, folding it in half on the diagonal, pressing down to secure both sides. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- In a large pot, heat oil to 350˚F (180˚F).
- Fry the wontons in small batches until golden brown.
- Transfer the wontons to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve with sour cream.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.