Mason Jar Cornbread Burger
featured in Cornbread Recipes 5 Ways
for 4 servings
- 2 cans black eyed pea, drained
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce, or adobo
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs (15 g)
- kale, finely chopped and sautéed, or other leafy green
- 1 box cornbread batter, mix, butter, egg, buttermilk, etc.
- ½ cup mayonnaise (120 g)
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 9 mason jar lid rings, large
- Calories 446
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 39g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Lay out 12 mason jar lid rings upside down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spray rings thoroughly with cooking spray.
- Mix cans of beans, BBQ sauce, seasoned salt, egg, and panko in food processor until it becomes a thick paste.
- Mix cornbread batter/mix - it should be fairly thick
- Fill 4 rings with bean mix (they can be compacted to the rim of the ring).
- Fill 8 rings with cornbread batter. (Do not completely fill. Leave a small amount of room at the top to allow for rise, making sure the spread batter evenly throughout ring.)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and burgers are lightly browned.
- Mix all ingredients for the spicy mayo and store in a refrigerator until ready to use.
- Assemble burger including any additional ingredients desired (we used sautéed kale, but also suggest collard greens or spinach).