Meatball Bread Boat
Feast your eyes on this mouthwatering Meatball Bread Boat, a fun twist on a classic favorite! Dive into the scrumptious combo of juicy meatballs, gooey cheese, and warm, crusty bread that'll have everyone coming back for seconds.
for 4 servings
- ½ lb ground beef (225 g)
- ½ lb Italian sausage (225 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (110 g), half for the meatballs, half for the boat topping
- 1 egg
- ½ cup breadcrumb (55 g)
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 3 cups marinara sauce (770 g)
- 1 italian bread loaf
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (300 g), Shredded
- Calories 869
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 82g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 45g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, sausage, salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil, half of the parmesan, egg, bread crumbs, water. It works well to squish the mixture with your hands.
- Shape the meatballs into balls roughly larger than a golf ball, or desired size.
- Coat a large pan with olive oil and bring to a medium-high heat.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Set aside meatballs and remove excess grease.
- Return the meatballs to the hot pan, add marinara sauce and simmer for 15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Cut a long rectangle through the top of the bread loaf and partially unstuff the loaf.
- Layer the bottom of the loaf with half the mozzarella, cooked meatballs, sauce, then top with the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350˚F (180˚C).
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.