89% would make again
Meatball In A Blanket Ring
featured in Meatball With A Twist
for 20 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce (520 g)
- ⅓ cup tomato paste (75 g)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 40 pre-cooked meatballs
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (200 g)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (25 g)
- Calories 434
- Fat 30g
- Carbs 29g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Add the oil to a pan on medium-high heat and cook the onions and garlic until deeply caramelized.
- Mix in tomato sauce, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, dried basil and oregano. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked meatballs and coat them with sauce. Remove sauce from heat.
- Roll out three rectangles of puff pastry. One should be 16-inches (41 cm) long, one 22-inches (56 cm) long and the third, 28-inches (71 cm) long. All three should be about 6-inches (15 cm) wide.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese in a line across the bottom of each strip, then place meatballs on top in a line about 1-inch (2 cm) apart from each other.
- Roll pastry over the meatballs. Then take the smallest roll and wrap it around a small oven safe bowl placed on top of a baking sheet. Make sure the ends of the pastry meet and pat together to connect.
- Take a knife and press down the puff pastry between each meatball creating a small opening on either side of the puff pastry. Make a small cut between each meatball just below the top of the puff pastry so that the roll is still connected.
- Repeat this step again with the medium roll and largest roll, wrapping them around each other.
- Add marinara sauce to the oven safe bowl.
- Brush egg wash over the entire ring and sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese on top. Cover sauce with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.