Meatloaf Layered Cake
featured in Sweet & Savory Tricks
This meatloaf layered cake is the ultimate comfort food, with layers of savory meatloaf and creamy mashed potatoes as frosting, all stacked up and ready to slice.
May 04, 2023
91% would make again
for 8 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup celery (110 g), minced
- ½ cup onion (75 g), minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 2 lb ground beef (905 g)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (50 g)
- ½ cup milk (120 mL)
- salt, to taste
- ⅓ cup tomato paste (75 g)
- 6 cups mashed potato (1.5 kg), prepared
- Calories 1025
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 140g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 49g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease 2 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans with nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, and carrot and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, Dijon mustard, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, eggs, panko, milk, and salt (if using). Stir to combine, add the cooled sautéed veggies, and mix until homogeneous.
- Divide the meatloaf between the prepared pans and spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 meatloaf layer to a serving plate. Spread a thin layer of tomato paste over the top. Add 2 cups (500 g) of mashed potatoes to the center and spread evenly. Top with the other meatloaf layer and spread with a layer of tomato paste and 2 cups (500 g) mashed potatoes. Use an offset spatula to cover the sides of the “cake” and spread the potatoes over the whole cake in an even layer.
- Add another cup (250 g) of mashed potatoes to the top of the cake and spread evenly over the whole cake.
- Add the remaining mashed potatoes to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe rosettes around the base and top of the cake.
- Slice and serve.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.