Michelle Obama’s Citrus Shortbread Cookies
featured in I Tried 3 First Lady Cookie Recipes
In this recipe from Michelle Obama, lemon and orange zest add a refreshing brightness to buttery shortbread cookies.
November 04, 2020
for 25 cookies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar (300 g), divided, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons amaretto
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups cake flour (375 g)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Calories 95
- Fat 0g
- Carbs 18g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C). Grease a 17 x 12 x 1-inch (43 x 30 x 2.54 cm)+ baking sheet with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1½ cups of caster sugar with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg yolks and beat until fluffy.
- Add the amaretto, lemon zest, and orange zest and beat until just combined.
- Gradually add the flour and salt and mix on low speed until no dry spots remain, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Spread the dough evenly on the prepared pan, making sure the top is as smooth as possible. Brush the dough with the egg white, then sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn off the oven and let the cookies cool inside for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut while slightly warm.
- Serve immediately.