94% would make again
Mississippi Mud Pie
for 8 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies, crushed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 8 oz dark chocolate (225 g), 70-80% cacao, coarsely chopped
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (220 g), packed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour (125 g)
Chocolate Pudding Layer
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 g)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (40 g), not dutch-processed, plus more for garnish
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour (40 g)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk (480 g)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL), chilled
- Calories 1027
- Fat 70g
- Carbs 95g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 68g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with nonstick spray and line the sides with a strip of parchment paper, trimming it flush with the top of the pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs and melted butter until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Transfer the crumbs to the prepared pan and use the bottom of a measuring cup to press them into an even layer over the bottom of the pan. Set the pan aside while you make the brownie layer.
- Make the brownie layer: In a large glass bowl, combine the chocolate and butter and microwave on high power, 30 seconds or until melted and smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and eggs until lightened in color and foamy, about 1 minute. Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter over the crust in the pan and smooth out the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pudding layer: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt until combined. Add the egg yolks and a splash of the milk and stir until it the mixture forms a thick, smooth paste. Add the remaining milk and whisk until smooth. Set the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken, 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the butter and vanilla and stir until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- When the brownie layer is ready, transfer the pan to a wire rack, pour the warm pudding over the brownie layer, and smooth out the top with a rubber spatula. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day.
- When ready to serve, whisk the chilled cream in a medium bowl until it forms stiff peaks.
- Remove the pie from the refrigerator. Remove the outer ring of the springform pan, then peel away and discard the strip of parchment paper and set the pie on a serving plate. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie, and dust with additional cocoa powder. Serve the pie chilled.