Mushroom “Chicken Nuggets”
These healthy-ish, plant-based mushroom nuggets will be the hype of your next get-together. This easy snack is crispy, crunchy, and savory and pairs well with almost any dipping sauce.
for 4 Servings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 king trumpet mushroom
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups crushed cornflake
- Sauce of choice, for dipping
- Calories 59
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 0g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 0g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Fill a large, high-walled skillet halfway with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Remove the caps from the mushrooms and reserve for another use, then slice the mushroom stems into ½-inch-thick rounds.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the chili powder.
- Add the cornflakes to a separate medium bowl
- Dip the mushroom rounds in the batter to coat completely, then dredge in the crushed cornflakes until fully covered.
- Working in batches, fry the mushrooms in the hot oil until golden brown, 3–5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve warm with your favorite sauce for dipping.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.