Crispy Potato Puffs
With a crispy outer shell and a creamy, savory center, these potato puffs are simultaneously simple and elegant.
for 48 small puffs
- 4 medium medium Idaho Gold potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 3 ¼ cups canola oil (780 mL), divided
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- ½ cup semolina flour (120 mL)
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Calories 142
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 5g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 0g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Make the puff dough: Add the potatoes to a medium bowl, along with ¼ cup of canola oil and 1 tablespoon of salt. Coat the potatoes thoroughly, then wrap each potato in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until fully cooked through and tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the toasted cumin seeds and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, slowly stream in the semolina, whisking constantly to prevent clumping. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook until all the moisture has cooked out, about 4 minutes. Transfer the semolina mixture to a large bowl and let sit at room temperature until ready to use.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins and pass through a potato ricer into the bowl with the cooked semolina. Add the remaining tablespoon of salt and the black pepper and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Roll the dough into ½-inch balls.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of canola oil to a medium pot fitted with a deep-fry thermometer. Heat over medium heat until the oil temperature reaches 350°F (180°C), then reduce the heat to low to maintain the temperature.
- Working in batches of about 8 at a time, fry the puffs in the hot oil for about 3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Use a spider to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain while you repeat with the remaining puffs, letting the oil temperature return to 350°F (180°C) between batches.
- Serve warm.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.