98% would make again
A spicy one-pot Cajun dish made with rice, sausage, chicken, shrimp, and vegetables.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (455 g), cubed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 andouille sausages, cooked and sliced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock (355 mL)
- 2 cups crushed tomato (480 g)
- 3 cups rice (690 g), cooked al dente
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb shrimp (455 g), peeled and divided
- Calories 787
- Fat 49g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 68g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium- high heat. Add the chicken, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, cayenne, and salt. Stir to coat.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, about 5 minutes, add the sausages and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Using the same pot, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, jalapeño, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook until vegetables are soft and tender, scraping any brown bits on the bottom of the pot, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, cooked rice, and bay leaves. Stir well and add the chicken and sausage back into the pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Put the lid on and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp. Put the lid back on and cook for 5 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through.