97% would make again
North African-style Poached Eggs In Tomato Sauce
featured in Red Sauce Recipes
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 oz diced tomato (795 g), 2 cans
- 5 large eggs
- fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- 1 loaf baguette, to serve
- Calories 493
- Fat 17g
- Carbs 62g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 22g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions, cooking until the onions are translucent and the garlic is starting to slightly brown.
- Add the spices and harissa paste, cooking the spices until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for about 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened to the point where pressing down with a spoon leaves an indent that holds its shape.
- Taking the back of a large spoon, make 5 large indents into the sauce, using a left-to-right wiggling motion to ensure that the “walls” of the sauce are tall enough to hold an egg.
- Crack the eggs into each of the indents, then cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- NOTE: To speed the process up, cover the skillet with a large lid.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, remove from heat, and serve with crusty bread to mop up all the sauce.