92% would make again
Not-Too-Dense Mashed Sweet Potatoes
featured in Mashed Potatoes Your Way
for 10 servings
- 3 lb sweet potato (1.5 kg), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 lb russet potato (910 g), peeled and cut into large chunks
- cold water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g), cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- ½ cup whole milk (120 mL)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped, for garnish
Nutrition InfoPowered by
- Calories 310
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the sweet potatoes and potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add the salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes longer. Drain and transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pot over low heat, bring the butter, cream, and milk to a simmer. Once simmering, remove from the heat.
- Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes and mash with a hand masher until smooth. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Garnish with chives, if desired.
- Note: Russet potatoes gives these a lighter texture compared your typical sweet potato mash, but you can swap them out with two additional pounds of sweet potatoes if you’d prefer to keep it classic.