One Pot Classic Ragu Lasagna
featured in Impressive Lasagna Dinners
Indulge in a classic comfort food with this one-pot classic ragu lasagna. Loaded with meaty sauce and gooey cheese, it's the ultimate Italian dinner.
May 14, 2023
88% would make again
for 8 servings
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (225 g)
- 1 oz cream cheese (30 g), room tempertature
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- ½ lb ground pork (225 g)
- ½ lb ground lamb (225 g)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup dry red wine (120 mL)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz crushed tomato (795 g), 1 can
- 8 oz no-boil lasagna noodle (225 g), broken in half
- 2 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella (200 g)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (25 g), plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- garlic bread, for serving
- Make the cheese cubes: In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, cream cheese, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Grease an ice cube tray with nonstick spray. Spoon the ricotta mixture evenly into the cups in the tray. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until the cheese mixture is firm, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
- Make the lasagna: Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter to the pot and swirl to evenly coat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and starting to caramelize, 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, pork, and lamb and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until no longer pink, 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the red wine and cook, stirring, until completely evaporated, 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly caramelized, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium, and cook the sauce, stirring, until slightly reduced, 6-8 minutes.
- Unmold the frozen cheese cubes, then distribute them evenly throughout the simmering meat sauce. Using your fingers or a pair of tongs, insert the noodle pieces vertically in the sauce around the pot. Cover the pot.
- Cook for 18 minutes, then uncover the pot and use a spatula to push down the exposed noodles so they are covered in sauce. Cover and cook for 18 minutes more, until the noodles are tender.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Sprinkle the lasagna with parsley and more Parmesan, if desired, and serve with garlic bread alongside.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.