95% would make again
One-Pot Lentil Bolognese
featured in 5 Easy Ways To Replace Ground Beef
A hearty and flavorful vegetarian meal made with lentils, mushrooms, and tomatoes, simmered in a fragrant sauce with Italian herbs. Quick and easy to make in one pot.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 8 oz dried spathetti (225 g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 cups white mushroom (300 g), sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup red wine (120 mL)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz diced organic tomato (795 g), 1 can
- ¼ cup tomato paste (55 g)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (480 mL)
- 1 cup dried brown lentil (200 g)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g), chopped, for garnish
- Calories 939
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 117g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have cooked down and are turning golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine, then add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes, until the bolognese is thickened.
- Serve the bolognese over the pasta, or, for a lighter option, use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Garnish with parsley.