One Pot Vegan Eggplant Lasagna
featured in Easy Vegan Pasta Recipes
This one-pot vegan eggplant lasagna is a healthier take on the classic dish. Packed with flavor and loaded with veggies, it's a meal that everyone can enjoy.
May 14, 2023
90% would make again
for 8 servings
Pesto Cashew Cream
- 2 cups raw cashews (260 g)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (240 mL)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf (40 g), lightly packed
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (10 g)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, roughtly chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (60 mL), plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 ½ lb eggplant (1.1 kg), cubed
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine (120 mL)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock (720 mL)
- 28 oz crushed tomato (795 g), 1 can
- 8 oz vegan "no-boil" lasagna noodle (225 g), broken in half
- 2 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (200 g)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- garlic bread, for serving
- Calories 1092
- Fat 81g
- Carbs 73g
- Fiber 19g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 11g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the pesto cashew cream cubes: In a blender, combine the cashews, olive oil, basil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Grease an ice cube tray with nonstick spray. Spoon the pesto into the cups in the tray. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until the cubes are firm, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
- Make the lasagna: Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ¼ cup (60 ml) of olive oil to the pot and swirl to evenly coat. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and caramelized, 30 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot. Then, add the carrot, celery, and onion, and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to caramelize, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring, until completely evaporated, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in the reserved eggplant, vegetable stock, and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Remove the pesto cubes from the ice cube tray, and immediately distribute the frozen pesto cubes throughout the eggplant sauce.
- Using your fingers or a pair of tongs, insert the noodle pieces vertically in the sauce around the pot. Cover the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 18 minutes, then uncover the pot and use a spatula to push down the exposed noodles so they are covered in sauce. Cover and cook for 18 minutes more, until the noodles are tender.
- Uncover and sprinkle the mozzarella over the top of the lasagna. Cover again and cook until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Sprinkle the lasagna with parsley and serve with garlic bread alongside.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.