89% would make again
Orange Cauliflower “Chicken”
Fool your meaty friends with this delicious vegetarian spin on a takeout classic. Made with cauliflower, this orange "chicken" recipe will have you speechless. Bake right before serving for the best results.
for 4 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 cups non dairy milk (480 mL)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2 inch ( 3 cm) florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup orange juice (120 mL)
- ½ cup brown sugar (100 g)
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar (60 mL)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- white rice, for serving
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Calories 469
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 90g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, flour, and salt.
- One at a time, dip each cauliflower floret in the batter to coat, letting any excess batter drip off. Arrange the battered cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet, making sure they aren’t touching one another. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, until the coating is crispy and beginning to brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce: Heat the canola oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2–3 minutes, until fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce. Cook for 2–3 minutes, until the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to simmer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and cold water with a fork.
- Add the slurry to the sauce, stirring to combine. Simmer for another 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Mix in the sesame oil, then transfer the sauce to a large bowl.
- Toss the hot cauliflower florets in the sauce until well coated.
- Serve the cauliflower over rice and garnish with the scallions.