87% would make again
Orange Chocolate Cupcake
featured in 5 Cupcakes To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
for 12 servings
- 3 oranges
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil (120 mL)
- 1 cup orange juice (240 mL)
- 4 oz cream cheese (110 g), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon orange zest, plus more for garnish
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar (150 g)
- Calories 421
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 51g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 33g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut orange in half. With a paring knife, carefully cut along the entire edge. With a spoon, scoop out the "meat" and set aside in a bowl. Repeat for all oranges. This will yield 6 empty orange halves.
- Juice the orange, reserve for the cake mix.
- Pre heat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil and freshly squeezed orange juice. Mix until the batter has no lumps.
- Place the orange cups into a muffin tin and fill with ¼ cup (60 g) of the chocolate batter.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, vanilla extract and orange zest until nice and smooth. Add butter and mix on medium high for a couple of minutes. Add powdered sugar and mix until the frosting is uniformly smooth. Put icing into a piping bag.
- Let cup cakes cool down. Top the cakes with icing. Sprinkle extra orange zest on top for garnish.