Orange Cranberry Scones
These flaky Orange Cranberry Scones are perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Made with fresh orange zest, tangy cranberries, and a touch of sugar, they’re sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Serve them warm with a dollop of butter and a hot cup of tea for a cozy treat.
for 8 servings
- 1 cup dried cranberries (140 g)
- boiling water, for soaking cranberries
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour (310 g), plus more for dusting
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (65 g)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons Private Selection® Salted French Butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL), plus 2 tablespoons, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (80 g)
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Rehydrate the cranberries by placing them in a small bowl and covering with boiling water. Let sit for at least 10 minutes, until plump, then drain and spread out on a paper towel to dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder. Use a pastry cutter (or your fingers) to incorporate the Private Selection® Salted French Butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gently fold in the cranberries.
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, beat the eggs, then add the heavy cream, vanilla, and orange zest and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently fold with a spatula to combine; do not overmix.
- Place a sheet of parchment on your work surface and lightly dust with flour. Turn the dough out onto the floured parchment and pat into a circle about 7 inches in diameter. Lift the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and refrigerate the dough round uncovered for at least 20 minutes, up to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Use a floured bench scraper to cut the dough round into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges and carefully space evenly on the baking sheet.
- Make the egg wash: In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream. Brush each scone generously with the egg wash.
- Bake the scones for about 20 minutes, until they are puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Make the orange drizzle: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice until smooth. Either transfer to a piping bag and snip off the corner or use a spoon to drizzle the glaze back and forth over the scones.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.