Pieng Seen Nam Tok/Jeow (Beef Waterfall) As Made By Little Lao Kitchen
Pieng Seen Naam Tok is a take on a classic Lao meal (Pieng Seen & Jeow) which usually consists of grilled or broiled meat and a dipping sauce called jeow. We grew up eating this often with our family. It’s simple, yet so delicious. In this recipe, we drizzle the dipping sauce over the sliced beef, which looks like a waterfall (nam tok).
for 2 servings
- 1 ¼ lb new york strip steak (530 g)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon msg
- 1 teaspoon chile flake
- 1 tablespoon toasted rice powder
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 large scallion, roughly chopped
- 3 Thai bird’s eye chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaf (40 g)
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro (15 g), chopped
- cooketicky rice, for serving
- Calories 494
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 8g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 47g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl or plastic bag, combine the New York strip steak, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and black pepper and massage the steak to coat. Marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the air fryer to 425°F (220°C).
- Add the steak to the air fryer and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side, until caramelized on the outside and the internal temperature registers 135–145°F (57–63°C) on an instant read thermometer, depending on your desired doneness. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the jeow: In a medium bowl, stir together the fish sauce, sugar, MSG, chile flakes, toasted rice powder, kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, and scallions until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the bird’s eye chiles. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Drizzle the jeow over top and garnish with the mint and cilantro. Serve with sticky rice.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.