These cheesy, savory popovers are like mini pizzas that you can hold in your hand. With a crispy, golden-brown crust and gooey melted cheese, they're a fun and delicious twist on traditional pizza.
for 6 popovers
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk (240 g), plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour (155 g)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (30 g), finely grated, plus 1½ tablespoons
- ½ cup pepperoni (75 g), chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 cup marinara sauce (260 g), warm
- 1 6 cup popover pan
- Calories 336
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 26g
- Fiber 18g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 15g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a blender, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, and tomato paste. Blend until smooth. Add the oregano, garlic powder, salt, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and flour and blend on high speed for 2-3 minutes, until completely smooth. Transfer the batter to a liquid measuring cup with a pour spout and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the popover pan in the oven to preheat.
- After resting, fold ¼ cup (30 g) Parmesan and ¼ cup (35 g) chopped pepperoni into the popover batter.
- Remove the popover pan from the oven and brush ¼ teaspoon melted butter in each cup, then fill ¾ of the way full with batter. Sprinkle with the remaining pepperoni and remaining 1½ tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the popovers for 25-30 minutes, or until they appear puffed and dry (do not open the oven door to check).
- Garnish the popovers with basil and serve immediately with warm marinara sauce alongside.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.