December 07, 2020
for 4 servings
- 2 lb closed cup white mushrooms (800 g)
- 2 cups beetroot juice (500 mL)
- ¼ cup dried porcini mushrooms (30 g), soaked in 150ml (1/2 cup) hot water - then chopped
- 1 cup walnuts (100 g), ground
- 1 brown onion
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons plain breadcrumbs (20 g)
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- 1 burger bun, toasted
- tomato, sliced
- red onion, sliced
- american mustard
- vegan mayonnaise
- Calories 504
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 47g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the porcini mushrooms to a bowl and cover with 150ml (½ cup) of hot water. Leave to sit for 30 minutes. (As you do this your kitchen will smell of so much goodness!)
- Blitz the mushrooms & onions in the food processor until finely chopped. (you will need to do this in a few stages as there's so many mushrooms!) Place into a large bowl.
- Once you have soaked the porcini mushroom, drain and reserve the water. Roughly chop the mushrooms and add to your blitzed mushrooms.
- Add the reserved porcini mushroom water and beetroot juice to the bowl. Stir to combine and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Next, drain the mushroom mix through and sieve and discard the juices.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add 2 tbsp of oil. Add the mushroom mix, walnuts, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Cook for 20-30 minutes continuously stirring. (Your aim here is to cook out the water from the mushrooms and dry everything out, be patient I promise it's worth it!)
- Reduce the heat and add the breadcrumbs. Stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour out into a bowl. Leave to cool for 10 minutes or until it's cool enough to handle.
- Divide into 4 and form into patties.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Add your patties and cook for 3-4 minutes aside or until brown.
- In the remaining 1 minutes add a slice of cheese to each burger patty and cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese.
- Build your burgers with all your favourite toppings and enjoy!