74% would make again
A spin on classic banana foster inspired by Latin American cuisine.
for 2 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar (100 g)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 plantains, very ripe, sliced on bias in ½-inch (1.2 cm) slices
- ¼ cup dark rum (60 mL)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
- dry roasted peanut, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 731
- Fat 23g
- Carbs 120g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 73g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add butter and brown sugar to a high sided skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture turns into golden brown syrup and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and plantains; cook until plantains are lightly browned and soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add rum and use a long kitchen lighter to ignite the liqueur. Keep cooking until alcohol burns off and no flame remains, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once the flame burns out, keep cooking, spooning sauce over plantains until syrupy and reduced, aout 2 minutes.
- Serve over ice cream with crushed peanuts.