Poori & Aloo Sabzi
featured in 15 Delicious Asian-Inspired Recipes
Poori aloo sabzi is a popular Indian breakfast made with deep-fried bread and a spicy potato-based curry.
May 04, 2023
95% would make again
for 7 servings
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (500 g)
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus more for dipping frying
- 1 cup water (240 mL), or as needed
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- 1 ½ lb potato (680 g), cooked and peeled
- ½ cup frozen peas (75 g), thawed
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- fresh cilantro leaf, for garnish
- Calories 398
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 77g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the flour to a large bowl. Sprinkle the oil over the flour and mix with your hands. The mixture should feel like sand.
- Add a bit of water at a time and knead into the flour. When the dough is ready, it should form a ball and not stick to your fingers.
- Cover the dough with damp towel so it doesn’t dry out.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot until it reaches 350˚F (170˚C).
- Form the dough into ping-pong size balls. Dip the balls into a small bowl of canola oil and roll them out into flat 2-inch (5 cm) circle shapes.
- Immediately drop the rolled dough into the oil. Use a spider to keep the dough submerged in the oil. Once it is puffed up, turn over and cook other side. Fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- ALOO: Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Once the ghee is completely melted, add the cumin seeds and toast until aromatic, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and ginger to the pot. Cover and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and mix well. Add the chopped tomato and season with salt. Cover and cook until the tomato is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and mix well. Add the potatoes and peas, and mix well to incorporate. Add the water, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the soup thickens.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here