98% would make again
Quinoa Taco-Stuffed Peppers
featured in The Best Dishes To Cook With Quinoa
Say hello to a fiesta in your mouth with these Quinoa Taco Stuffed Peppers! Packed with protein-rich quinoa and bursting with flavor, these colorful gems will have you coming back for seconds.
May 05, 2023
for 4 serving
- 4 large bell peppers, try to find peppers with flat bases that can stand upright
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa (170 g), rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock (355 mL)
- 15 oz black beans (425 g), drained and rinsed, 1 can
- 1 cup corn (175 g)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (100 g)
- ½ cup enchilada sauce (225 g), or salsa
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro
- Calories 711
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 84g
- Fiber 14g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Wash and dry the peppers.
- Using a sharp knife, take off their tops and remove the seeds and pith.
- Arrange the peppers in an oven-safe dish so that they stand upright.
- Bake the peppers for 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, begin cooking the quinoa.
- Add olive oil to a medium-sized pot or dutch oven with a lid. Add onion and cook over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes, or until starting to become tender.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add spices and quinoa. Sauté the quinoa for 1-2 minutes before adding the the vegetable stock.
- Add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and has absorbed all the remaining liquid.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add in the beans, corn, cheese, and enchilada sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the pre-baked peppers, being sure to press the mixture firmly into the peppers.
- Generously top with cheese and return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
- Allow the peppers to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with toppings of your choice.