Red Dragon Cupcakes
HBO’s House of the Dragon premiered in August 2022 and we can’t get enough. These dragon inspired cupcakes are perfect for your next watch party!
September 01, 2022
for 12 cupcakes
- 10 oz black chocolate medallions (290 g)
- Edible metallic dusting powder, as needed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons silver sanding sugar
- 3 tablespoons black sanding sugar
- 2 ⅓ cups vanilla buttercream frosting (325 g), divided
- 12 red velvet cupcakes
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 1 teaspoon gold sanding sugar
- dragon-shaped silicone mold
- Add the chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave 30-second intervals, mixing between, until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the dragon-shaped molds (to make 12 total; work in batches if needed), then refrigerate for about 5 minutes, or until the chocolate has set. Carefully remove the chocolate dragons from the mold. Using a small brush, dust the chocolate figures with edible metallic dusting powder, if desired.
- In a small bowl, mix together the silver and black sanding sugar until evenly combined.
- Add 2 cups of buttercream frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a round tip, then pipe onto the red velvet cupcakes. 5. Carefully dip the cupcakes in the sanding sugar mixture to cover the frosting completely.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining ⅓ cup of buttercream frosting with the orange food coloring until evenly combined. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a flat tip, then pipe onto the center of the cupcakes to look like flames. Sprinkle the flames with the gold sanding sugar.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate dragon.
- The cupcakes will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.