Rice Cooker Upside-Down Pineapple Cake
An easy and delicious cake that's made in a rice cooker! Slices of juicy pineapple are arranged on the bottom of the cooker, then topped with a cake batter and cooked until golden brown.
for 6 servings
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 g)
- 3 oz cream cheese (85 g), room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, from can
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup pancake mix (125 g)
- 7 canned pineapple slice
- 7 maraschino cherries
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g)
- 1 cup brown sugar (220 g), packed
- vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Calories 781
- Fat 32g
- Carbs 119g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 98g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, use a spatula to mix the sugar and cream cheese until well-combined. Whisk in the eggs until there are no lumps remaining.
- Stir in the pineapple juice, melted butter, and pancake mix until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Make the caramel sauce: in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter, then add the brown sugar. Stir rapidly for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat once mixture starts to boil and thicken.
- Pour the caramel sauce into the bottom of a 1-liter rice cooker bowl insert.
- Place one pineapple slice in the middle of the rice cooker bowl, then arrange the other slices in a ring around it. Place one maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapple slices and shake to smooth out the top of the batter.
- Cook for 60 minutes.
- Remove the bowl insert from the rice cooker and invert the cake onto a plate.
- Slice and serve, topped with vanilla ice cream if desired.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.