Rosemary Sweet Potato Muffins
The earthy and aromatic rosemary pairs perfectly with the subtle sweetness of the sweet potato, resulting in a muffin that's both savory and satisfying. Whether enjoyed as a breakfast treat or a snack on the go, these muffins will make your taste buds sing with every bite!
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 12 muffins
- olive oil, to taste
- 1 sweet potato, cubed and peeled
- ½ medium white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (260 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL), or 1 cup (240 ml) milk mixed with 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, or olive oil
- Calories 198
- Fat 9g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat until just shimmering. Add the sweet potato, onion, garlic, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until the sweet potato is softened and browned. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter.
- Add the cooled sweet potato mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and fold to combine, being careful not to overmix.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling almost completely.
- Bake for 18 minutes, rotating the muffin tin halfway through baking, until browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin. Serve or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Nutrition, per muffin - Calories: 159, Total fat: 8 grams, Sodium: 393 mg, Total carbs: 18 grams, Dietary fiber: 3 grams, Sugars: 2 grams, Protein: 5 grams
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.