86% would make again
Salted Caramel Apple Bark
Think of this salted caramel apple bark as a deconstructed candy apple. Layers of chocolate, pretzels, salted caramel, apple, and more chocolate make this the perfect sweet and salty treat for your fall gatherings.
October 12, 2022
for 4 servings
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- ¼ cup cold water (60 mL)
- ¾ cup heavy cream (180 mL), room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 12 ½ oz semisweet chocolate (355 g), 48%
- 2 cups salted pretzels (80 g)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into ½-inch (1.24 cm) cubes
- Calories 955
- Fat 58g
- Carbs 120g
- Fiber 21g
- Sugar 78g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the salted caramel: Add the sugar and water to a medium saucepan. Stir to combine, then cook over medium-high heat without stirring for 13–15 minutes, or until the mixture turns dark amber in color.
- Turn off the heat and carefully pour in the heavy cream. Whisk until the mixture is smooth, then add the butter and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Once the caramel has cooled, make the apple bark: Line a 9 x 13-inch (22 cm x 33 cm) rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill a small pot with about 1 inch (2.54 cm) of water and bring to a near boil. Add the chocolate to a heatproof bowl and set atop the pot of water, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir with a spatula until chocolate is completely melted, 1½-2 minutes.
- Transfer ½ cup (120 ml) of the melted chocolate to a resealable plastic bag and set aside. Pour the remaining melted chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Scatter the pretzels atop the melted chocolate in an even layer, then carefully pour 1 cup (240 ml) of the salted caramel over the pretzels and spread evenly (store the remaining caramel in a sterile container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks).
- Top with the Granny Smith apples, then snip a ¼-inch opening in the corner of the bag with the melted chocolate and drizzle over the apples.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, until set, then cut the bark into pieces of your desired shape and size. Store the bark in the refrigerator until ready to serve (no longer than 24 hours or the pretzels will begin to get soggy).