98% would make again
Salted Caramel Apple Pie
featured in Impressive Thanksgiving Pies
June 10, 2019
for 8 servings
- 8 large granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar (130 g)
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 premade pie crusts, thawed if frozen
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¾ cup heavy cream (180 mL)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (165 g)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- sea salt, for garnish
- Calories 644
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 102g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 66g
- Protein 5g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, lemon juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss until the apples are well coated.
- Lay 1 of the pie crusts in a 9-inch (23-cm) pie dish. Add the apple slices to the bottom of the crust. Place the other pie crust over the apple slices.
- Trim any extra dough from the edges. Press the rounded edge of spoon facedown around the edge, making shallow indentations to crimp the crusts together.
- Cut 4 slits in the top of the pie for ventilation, then brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and no grey-ish or undercooked pastry remains. Let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, brown sugar, and honey. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the butter and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the caramel reaches a thick consistency.
- Let the caramel sauce cool for 5 minutes, then pour over the pie. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Slice and serve.