94% would make again
Salted Caramel-Stuffed Crispy Rice Treats
featured in Stuffed Crispy Rice Treats
Gooey, buttery crispy rice treats and salted caramel are #couplegoals. Quick tip: if the crispy rice mixture solidifies too much to spread, place the pot in the oven at 250°F (120°C) for 5 minutes to soften.
March 23, 2021
for 20 treats
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 g)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- ¼ cup heavy cream (60 mL)
Crispy Rice Treats
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 16 oz mini marshmallows (480 g)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® vanilla extract
- 8 cups puffed rice cereal (240 g)
- 1 tablespoon flaky sea salt
- candy thermometer
- Calories 258
- Fat 3g
- Carbs 55g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the salted caramel sauce: In a small saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, stir together the sugar, water, and salt until no clumps remain, brushing any sugar granules from the sides of the pot. Turn the heat to medium and cook the sugar mixture without stirring until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C) and the color turns light amber brown, 10–15 minutes.
- Gently whisk in 1 piece of butter at a time until melted and incorporated.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Slowly pour in the heavy cream, whisking continuously to prevent the caramel from overflowing. Use caution as the mixture bubbles. Let the sauce cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Make the crispy rice treats: Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until lightly browned, 3–4 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, stir in the marshmallows until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla. Turn off the heat, add the puffed rice cereal, and stir until well coated.
- Spread half of the crispy rice mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Spread the salted caramel sauce evenly over the first layer of crispy rice treats and sprinkle with the flaky sea salt. Return the pan to the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Spread the rest of the crispy rice mixture evenly over the caramel sauce. (If the crispy rice mixture solidifies too much to spread, place the pot in the oven at 250°F (120°C) for 5 minutes to soften). Let the treats cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, invert the treats onto a cutting board and cut into 2-inch squares.