99% would make again
Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
featured in Revamped Classic Thanksgiving Side Dishes
This dish is the coziest combination of savory and sweet. The sausage and apple stuffing is loaded with flavor and the acorn squash makes a delicious edible vessel.
May 05, 2023
for 4 servings
- 2 small acorn squashes, or 1 large
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ lb sausage (225 g)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (50 g)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (55 g)
- Calories 656
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 89g
- Fiber 18g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Using a sharp knife cut off the very top and bottom of each squash to create a flat base on each side (being careful not to cut through the center cavity).
- Slice the squash in half, scrape out seeds to create individual bowls for the stuffing.
- Drizzle each squash half with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 400˚F (200˚C) for 40-50 minutes - or until fork tender.
- While squash is roasting - in a large fry pan over medium heat - heat oil and add Onion, Celery, Salt, Pepper, and Rosemary. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add Garlic and Sausage, until sausage is browned on all sides.
- Add Apple until slightly softened. Finally mix in Bread Crumbs and Parmesan cheese just until incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Once Squash has finished roasting (when you can easily poke it with a fork) remove from oven and fill each with prepared stuffing mixture.
- Return to Oven for 20 minutes - adding a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to the top for the final 5 minutes.