99% would make again
Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
featured in Revamped Classic Thanksgiving Side Dishes
for 4 servings
- 2 small acorn squashes, or 1 large
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ lb sausage (225 g)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (50 g)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (55 g)
- Calories 576
- Fat 21g
- Carbs 86g
- Fiber 18g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 20g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Using a sharp knife cut off the very top and bottom of each squash to create a flat base on each side (being careful not to cut through the center cavity).
- Slice the squash in half, scrape out seeds to create individual bowls for the stuffing.
- Drizzle each squash half with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 400˚F (200˚C) for 40-50 minutes - or until fork tender.
- While squash is roasting - in a large fry pan over medium heat - heat oil and add Onion, Celery, Salt, Pepper, and Rosemary. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add Garlic and Sausage, until sausage is browned on all sides.
- Add Apple until slightly softened. Finally mix in Bread Crumbs and Parmesan cheese just until incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Once Squash has finished roasting (when you can easily poke it with a fork) remove from oven and fill each with prepared stuffing mixture.
- Return to Oven for 20 minutes - adding a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to the top for the final 5 minutes.