Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Get ready to set sail with these scrumptious Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Boats! Packed with savory sausage and topped with melty cheese, this dish is a delightful twist on a classic Italian favorite.
for 2 servings
- 2 large zucchinis
- ½ tablespoon McCormick® Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage meat (455 g), casings removed if necessary
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper (25 g), diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the zucchini boats: Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. With a small paring knife, cut into each zucchini half about ¼ inch from the outside edges and ¼ inch (6 mm) deep. Be careful not to cut all the way through the zucchini. Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh of the zucchini inside the cuts, being careful not to scoop all the way through the squash. Dice the scooped-out zucchini flesh and set aside for the filling.
- Place the zucchini boats on the prepared baking sheet, and sprinkle evenly with the McCormick® Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Make the filling: Heat the olive oil in a large high-walled skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey sausage and cook for 4–5 minutes, breaking up with a spatula, until beginning to brown.
- Add the onion and sauté for 1–2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, reserved zucchini flesh, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes, and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in the red wine vinegar, McCormick® Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning, McCormick® Garlic Powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 2–4 minutes more, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Spoon the filling into the zucchini boats, dividing evenly.
- Transfer the zucchini boats to the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, until the zucchini is tender. Remove from the oven and turn the broiler on high.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup (25 g) mozzarella cheese over each zucchini boat, then return to the oven and broil for 4–5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.