Seafood Casserole As Made By Betsy’s Gammy
Take your taste buds on a trip to the East Coast with this creamy casserole from Betsy’s grandmother. Get creative by using your favorite seafood, but if you decide to stick with shrimp and scallops, keep an eye on them, as they cook quickly. For extra crunch, don’t over-pulse the bread crumbs. Serve the casserole with a light salad and watch as your guests gush over what’s sure to be your new summer staple.
for 8 servings
- 1 lb sourdough bread (455 g), 1 medium load, roughly torn
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick, melted, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 4 cups dry white wine (960 mL), plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 lb shrimp (455 g), 16/20 count, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb large scallops (455 g)
- 1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat (455 g)
- 2 cups half & half (480 mL)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 28 oz artichoke heart (795 g), 2 cans, drained and chopped
- fresh chive, chopped, for garnish
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Calories 842
- Fat 40g
- Carbs 61g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 52g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Spread the bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Let cool to room temperature. Leave the oven on.
- Add the toasted bread to a food processor and pulse until finely ground. You should have about 4 cups (460 G) of bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, the cheddar cheese, and 1 teaspoon of salt and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine 4 cups (960 ml) of white wine and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until bright pink, about 1 minute. Use a spider or slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a colander to drain.
- Return the wine to a boil. Add the scallops and cook until just opaque, about 2 minutes. Transfer the scallops to a colander to drain.
- Chop the shrimp and scallops into bite-size pieces. Transfer to large bowl, along with the crab and 1 teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, the flour, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, lemon juice, ketchup, remaining tablespoon of white wine, and remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Brush the remaining tablespoon of melted butter in a 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33 cm) baking dish.
- Scatter the artichokes in an even layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Scoop the seafood mixture over the artichokes. Pour the sauce over the seafood. Top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Top with chives and serve with lemon wedges.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.