98% would make again
Seared Crispy Skin Duck Breast With Duck-Fat Fried Potatoes
featured in Recipes For Your Next Date Night!
Savor the rich flavors of this Seared Crispy Skin Duck Breast with Duck Fat Fried Potatoes, a true culinary masterpiece. Elevate your dinner game with this succulent dish that's both elegant and satisfying.
May 05, 2023
for 2 servings
- 2 lb duck breast (910 g), 1-pound
- 1 salt, to taste
- 1 pepper, to taste
- 1 lb fingerling potato (455 g)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 cup red wine (240 mL)
- 1 cup chicken stock (240 mL)
- ½ orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Calories 968
- Fat 20g
- Carbs 91g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 31g
- Protein 97g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Pat dry the duck breasts with a paper towel.
- Score the duck skin with sharp knife, making sure to not cut into the flesh.
- Season the duck breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes to a pot of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Using the bottom of a ramekin or your palm, gently smash the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Starting with a cold and dry oven-safe skillet, place the duck breasts skin side down. Cook for 12-15 minutes over medium heat.
- Flip the breasts over and sear the other side for 1 minute. Flip to the skin side down, and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Roast for 4 minutes for medium-rare, or 6 minutes for medium.
- Rest the duck skin-side up for 10 minutes. Do not discard the fat in the pan.
- In a small pot, combine the red wine, chicken stock, orange juice, and honey and reduce by half over medium heat.
- Fry the potatoes with remaining duck fat in the pan, until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Slice the duck ½-inch (1 cm) pieces.
- Serve with the sauce and the potatoes.