91% would make again
Seared New York Strip Steak
featured in Classic Steakhouse Dinner 20 Minute Challenge
December 30, 2020
for 2 servings
- 2 new york strip steaks, room temperature (1 in thick 2.5 cm)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Calories 523
- Fat 42g
- Carbs 6g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 29g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Liberally season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the canola oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and sear for 3–4 minutes, until a golden brown crust forms. Flip the steaks and sear for 1–2 minutes on the other side, then add the butter, shallot, garlic, and thyme to the pan. Baste the steaks with the butter and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- If the steak isn’t cooked to your liking, transfer to the oven and cook for 3–5 minutes, or until it reaches your desired temperature.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.