81% would make again
Shrimp Katsu Rice Burger
featured in Japanese Rice Burgers 4 Ways
for 2 Servings
- 3 ½ oz shrimp (100 g)
- 3 ½ oz tofu (100 g), diced
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise, divided
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- flour, for dredging
- panko bread crumb, for dredging
- oil, for frying
- 10 ½ oz cooked rice (300 g)
- sesame oil
- 2 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-boiled egg, minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickle, minced
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- Calories 765
- Fat 52g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 28g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Roughly chop half of shrimp and finely chop the rest until it becomes a paste.
- Place the shrimp and tofu in a medium bowl and break up with a spatula. Add the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, form the shrimp mixture into 2 patties.
- Place the flour, eggs, and panko in 3 separate medium bowls. Dredge the shrimp patties in the flour, then egg, then panko bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Fry the shrimp patties until golden brown, then drain on paper towels.
- Line a ramekin with plastic wrap, and mold a quarter of the rice into a patty. Repeat with the remaining rice to make 4 "buns".
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat a splash of sesame oil, then add the rice buns. Cook, flipping once, until the outside is crispy.
- Make the tartar sauce: In a small bowl, combine the boiled egg, mayonnaise, pickles, and onions.
- Assemble the burgers: start with the rice “bun,” then add the green leaf lettuce, shrimp katsu burger, a dollop of tartar sauce, and top with another rice “bun.”
- Nutrition Calories: 3339 Fat: 284 grams Carbs: 161 grams Fiber: 4 grams Sugars: 43 grams Protein: 43 grams