85% would make again
Shrimp Tempura Rice Burger
featured in Japanese Rice Burgers 4 Ways
Here is a fun twist on the classic burger. Crispy shrimp tempura is sandwiched between two rice patties and topped with avocado, lettuce, and spicy mayo.
May 05, 2023
for 3 servings
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour (120 g)
- ½ cup cold water (100 mL)
- flour, to cook
- 6 shrimps
- oil, to cook
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups rice (300 g), cooked
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, to cook
- green leaf lettuce, to taste
- Calories 604
- Fat 32g
- Carbs 60g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 15g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Add 120 grams (1 cup) of flour and water. Whisk to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator.
- Add flour to a shallow dish. Dip each shrimp in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the floured shrimp into the batter.
- Heat oil in a pot to 350°F (180˚C).
- Fry the shrimp until they float to the top and become golden brown in color. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- For the mayonnaise sauce, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, honey, and vinegar.
- Line a ramekin with plastic wrap, and mold ¼ of the rice into a patty. Repeat until you have 6 rice “buns.”
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add a splash of sesame oil. Add the rice “buns” and cook until the outside is crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Top the rice "bun" with a piece of green leaf lettuce, fried shrimps, mayonnaise sauce, and top with another rice “bun.” Repeat with remaining ingredients.