Skillet Chicken Tinga Enchiladas
Get ready to sizzle with these Skillet Chicken Tinga Enchiladas! This one-pan wonder is packed with bold flavors and melty cheese, perfect for a weeknight fiesta.
for 2 servings
- 2 ½ tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola
- ½ medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons McCormick® chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Paprika
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Mccormick® ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® Oregano Leaves
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup tomato sauce (60 g)
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth (540 mL)
- 8 corn tortillas, 8 in (20 cm)
- 2 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken (500 g)
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese blend (200 g), divided
- mexican crema, for garnish
- avocado, diced, for garnish
- Calories 1192
- Fat 70g
- Carbs 73g
- Fiber 23g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 66g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 5–6 minutes. Remove the onion from the pot and set aside.
- Make the enchilada sauce: In the same saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together the oil and flour until combined. Allow to simmer for 30 seconds, then whisk in the McCormick® Chili Powder, salt, McCormick® Paprika, McCormick® Garlic Powder, McCormick® Onion Powder, McCormick® Ground Cumin, McCormick® Ground Cinnamon, McCormick® Oregano Leaves, McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper, and tomato paste. Cook for 30–45 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth, and whisk until smooth. Simmer for 2–3 minutes, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Wrap the tortillas in a damp cloth or paper towels. Microwave for 30–45 seconds, or until the tortillas are soft enough to roll.
- In a large bowl, toss together the shredded chicken, sautéed onion, 1 heaping cup of shredded cheese, and about one-third of the enchilada sauce until well-combined.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce at the bottom of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Fill a tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll tightly, then place seam-side down in the skillet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, then top the enchiladas with any remaining chicken mixture, the rest of the enchilada sauce, and the remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Turn the broiler on high and broil for 1–2 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Top the enchiladas with Mexican crema and diced avocado. Serve warm.