Slow Cooker Turkey Chili With Cornbread Dumplings
This slow cooker turkey chili with cornbread dumplings is the ultimate comfort food for any season. The combination of savory turkey chili and sweet cornbread dumplings makes for a cozy and satisfying meal that the whole family will love. Let your slow cooker do the work while you kick back and relax!
for 6 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey (455 g)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz tomato sauce (795 g)
- 15 oz black beans (425 g), drained and rinsed
- 15 oz pinto beans (425 g), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn (175 g), thawed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal (150 g), fine
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (10 g)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Calories 677
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 75g
- Fiber 33g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 42g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Combine the ground turkey, yellow onion, red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, tomato sauce, black and pinto beans, corn, chili powder, salt, and black pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6–8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once the chili has cooked for 6–8 hours, make the dumplings: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, milk, and brown sugar.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt and stir until smooth. Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, dollop the dumpling batter on top of the chili. Cover and cook for 2 more hours on low or 1 more hour on high, until the dumplings are puffed and tender.
- Scoop the chili and dumplings into bowls and garnish with jalapeño, cilantro, and green onions, if desired.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.