Soda Bread Scones With Irish Whiskey Butter
featured in Recipes To Cook While Listening To Taylor Swift
This content is intended solely for users of legal drinking age. Drink responsibly.
March 01, 2022
86% would make again
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 8 scones
- ⅓ cup irish whiskey (100 mL)
- ½ cup golden raisin (75 g)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour (95 g)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda, scant
- 1 ¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes
- ¾ cup buttermilk (180 mL), plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed, divided
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon irish whiskey, leftover from soaking raisins
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Calories 404
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 48g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the whiskey to a simmer. Turn off the heat, add the raisins, and set aside for at least 15 minutes to allow the raisins to plump.
- Drain and reserve the raisins and whiskey separately.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt.
- Add the butter and use your hands to pinch together the butter and flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the buttermilk to the mixture and mix just until a dough begins to form. Add the whiskey-soaked raisins and 1½ teaspoons of caraway seeds. Mix just to combine.
- Shape the dough into a 7-inch (18 cm) round. Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the round with buttermilk. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon caraway seeds and flaky salt
- Cut the dough into 8 triangles and transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing the scones 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the scones bake, make the whiskey butter: In a medium bowl, add the reserved whiskey to the butter, a little at a time, mixing after each addition until fully combined. Stir in the salt.
- Serve the scones warm or at room temperature with the whiskey butter alongside.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.