Southwestern Veggie-Packed Tater Tot Casserole
This hearty casserole is a perfect weeknight meal for the whole family. The crispy tater tots are layered with a tasty blend of veggies, beans, and cheese, creating a dish that is packed with flavor and nutrition.
for 4 servings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn (175 g)
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrot (150 g)
- 15 oz black beans (425 g), 1 can, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk (480 mL)
- 1 cup diced tomato (200 g), 1 can with juices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- 28 oz frozen tater tot (795 g), 1 bag
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (10 g), chopped
- Calories 690
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 105g
- Fiber 28g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 18g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut the head of cauliflower in half, remove the stem, and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the corn, carrots, black beans, and 2 cups (600 g) of cauliflower and cook, stirring often, for another 3 minutes, until the corn starts to brown around the edges.
- Add the flour, chili powder, and salt and stir until the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add the milk and diced tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and stir until melted.
- Turn off the heat and arrange the tater tots on top of the vegetable mixture.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish the casserole with tomato, red onion, jalapeño, and cilantro, if using.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.