96% would make again
Spaghetti Squash Nests
This fun and creative dish is a great way to enjoy spaghetti squash. The "nests" are made by baking the parmesean-flecked spaghetti squash on a sheet tray before adding eggs into the nests.The result is a crispy and nutritious breakfast or snack.
May 05, 2023
for 4 servings
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, about 2 1/3 or 3 pounds (1.1 or 1.3 grams)
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (110 g)
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- olive oil, cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh herb, such as chives, thyme, or parsley - minced
- Calories 283
- Fat 19g
- Carbs 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 17g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, poke holes lengthwise around the center of the spaghetti squash.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Cut the ends off of the squash, then slice in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and pulp.
- Place half of the squash flesh-side down in a microwave-safe dish with high sides. Pour ½ cup (120 ML) of water over the top of the squash and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or when a fork easily pulls the squash away from the skin in long strands that look like spaghetti. Repeat with second half— there will still be water left over from the first half. Cool the squash until it can be safely handled, about 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to remove all of the squash from the skin, breaking it up into small strands. You should have approximately 4 cups of squash (820 G). Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the squash into 4 1-cup (205 G each cup) (2 portions and place on the prepared baking sheet. Shape into nests, creating a well large enough to fit an egg in the center of each.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the squash is starting to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, 1 at a time, then pour into the wells of the squash nests. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on your preferred doneness for the eggs.
- Garnish each nest with fresh herbs and serve.